Join the Amperfam!
We are looking for a qualified, passionate, and charismatic creative leader to be the driving force that helps Ampersand win new business and keep the creative side of our agency at the top of our game. We are a rapidly growing, full-service, boutique branding agency with a strong, talented creative team. As we grow, we need an experienced creative lead to help us continue to build and shape our team. This is a leadership role in every sense of the phrase – and as such, we are looking for a talented GCD or CD that has already successfully staffed, mentored, motivated and empowered creatives in an agency environment.
The right candidate will work closely with agency principals and other department heads on new business pitches, as well as agency leadership initiatives. Overall, this person will also oversee all agency creative staff, and be the final arbiter of all graphic design and copy/art direction for all clients. Maintaining department productivity, maintaining our agency culture and delivering work to our high standards are essential skills that our CD must naturally possess.
The successful candidate will also be given the opportunity to be involved in overall agency management as either an ECD or in key partner position. Our CD will be on a leadership team that shapes the agency’s future and shares financially in its success.
Based on the nature of our client roster and services provided at Ampersand, we prefer a person with deep experience directing and managing from a graphic design background. Design acumen and the ability to advise, mentor, guide and technically improve the work of our production artists, graphic designers, and art directors is a must in this role. Excellent interpersonal skills are also must—as our CD will also be responsible for managing client relationships for all things related to creative.
This role requires someone who can jump in and concept or design, as needed. They should have an ability to oversee multiple projects, and work side by side with their team to develop original concepts for national marketing campaigns as well as innovative digital & social media campaigns. They will enforce all creative processes, manage in house and freelance resources and provide quality assurance and alignment for all work products—ensuring all deliverables are on brief, and meet all mandatory requirements.
Ampersand is a high-quality, high-energy agency that cares about its employees. Compassion and respect for one another are core values at our agency. So, we are seeking a positive and enthusiastic individual who possesses a genuine love of the work and of managing people. If that sounds like you, please include a link to your online portfolio with your application to be considered.
The Ampersand Agency is an independent full-service boutique branding-agency located in the heart of Austin, Texas. The agency specializes in helping brands find their most advantageous position and purpose—their truth—and sharing that truth with the world. Founded by lead strategists, Cindy Holladay and Jeff Montgomery, the agency & its Dynamic Insight process, were born in strategy and fueled by creativity. It’s the intersection of these two things that have made Ampersand a trusted partner of some of the most beloved brands out there.
- Manage and enforce the agency’s creative processes from concept to completion
- Manage a team of in house creatives, as well as a network of contractors through agency briefings, the creative development process, ongoing timelines and delivery standards for a variety of projects
- Strong graphic design skills and ability to provide clear creative direction and provide timely and helpful feedback to improve creative process, keep work on strategy, on tone, on budget and on schedule
- Work closely with multidisciplinary project team to improve creative performance over including feedback and data provided by account reps, strategists, clients and media
- Oversee client pitches and present the work- excellent presentation skills and communication abilities are a must!
- Work with planners/strategists to translate marketing objectives into clear creative strategies
- Meet with client or upper management to demonstrate how campaign concepts and tactical creative solutions align with planner’s/strategist’s directives
- Lead and direct the creative team in the production of all campaign collateral
- Ensure visual communication and brand standards are met
- Oversee creative department profitability, deliverables, timelines, and budgets
- Work with Project Manager or Account Service Director to oversee resource allocation, assign work, estimate hours and assign priorities
- Screen, interview and hire future talent as needed
- Work closely with all creative staff to provide guidance, expertise and support that helps them elevate their skills and work products
- Conduct employee reviews and offer constructive advice/criticism
- Review work, troubleshoot and provide feedback to creative teams prior to ICR’s
- Remain actively involved in hiring and training of creative staff
- Manage and cultivate the career development of staff members, including designers, art directors, and copywriters
- Jump in and be a hands-on design resource, as needed
- 5+ years working in an advertising agency
- 5+ years of graphic design experience
- 3+ years of experience as a creative director or group creative director in a similar role at an advertising or branding agency
- Stellar communication, presentation, problem-solving and project-management skills
- The ability to inspire creative and work well with different personality types—all while handling multiple projects in a fast-paced environment
- Strong understanding of industry trends and creative tools including the entire Adobe Creative Suite, Keynote and Microsoft Office including PowerPoint
- Salary will be based on experience. Range from 115K to 150K
- 4 weeks Paid Time Off plus 12 holidays each year
- Flextime policy that allows personal appointments and errands without using PTO
- Remote work role (based in Austin, TX), with occasional team building and workshops on site
- Full Health (United Health Care) and Dental Insurance (Humana Dental) HSA options available that can roll into IRA.
- 401K with employer matching funds (no vesting schedule required)
- Annual Profit Sharing Bonuses (when positive net profit allows)
To be considered for this position, please send a cover letter, resume/CV, and link to your portfolio to Ellen Aldrich.